Friday, May 7, 2010

Friends


What is a friend? I looked up the definition at dictionary.com, and the typical response is: someone who you care about and cares about you, someone you have a lot in common with, someone you can trust, etc. But what about a best friend? This is someone who you care about and cares about you unconditionally, someone you can trust with all your hopes, dreams and secrets. I think sometimes we confuse best friend with favourite friend. Even someone who really is your best friend, may not always be your best friend. When your lives start to take different directions, will you always be best friends? Or will you now be just friends, and move on to new best friends with more similar lifestyles?

I had a best friend when I was young, then I had a new best friend when I moved to AB, then when I graduated I again, had a new best friend. I had a best friend when I got engaged, and a best friend when I got dumped. I had a best friend whom I travelled Europe with. Most of these best friends are different people. I am again faced with the dilemma of my best friends moving on to new and better things, and me getting left behind. I have one best friend who is getting married. I have two best friends who are graduating from University and/or moving out in the near future. I no longer know who is my best friend by definition. All of these best friends I still would call my closest friends, but I don't know who the friend is that I am supposed to trust with all my hopes, secrets and dreams. I don't know who the friend is that is going to be there no matter what. I don't know which friend I'm supposed to go to when I need a shoulder to cry on.

Maybe what God is trying to tell me is that there is no human being who is your best friend by definition. At least not permanently. From time to time there will be that special friend who fits the definition, but lifestyles change and people move on. But the only one who will be there through the good times and the bad, the only one who will be there even when you reject Him, the only one who will wait patiently for you to get your head on straight, is God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment