Thursday, April 1, 2010

Marine Animals

I've decided that when I secure a teaching position as a high school biology teacher, I am going to have a "touch tank". And a saltwater aquarium at my house. Allow me to explain! I am taking a zoology course on invertebrates this semester, and I've discovered a passion for echinoderms! Echinoderms = starfish, brittle stars and sea urchins (among other creatures). They are just so cool! We have a touch tank in our lab, and I'm pretty sure I spend a solid 20 minute holding and playing with a sea urchin. When you hold it in the palm of your hand it starts waving its little spines all over the place, and slowly tries to escape. Brittle stars, when antagonized, can lose an arm and regenerate it in a matter of weeks-months. Starfish, as slow as they are, as voracious predators. They have slowly consumed almost all the mussels, barnacles and crabs in our tank. Here are some pictures of some creatures I DEFINITELY need to own (either in the touch tank, my own aquarium, or both).

Sea Urchins

Brittle Star

Starfish - see the difference from the brittle star above?

I'm so excited! I just love this class, even the dissections are cool! The creatures are all so unique and fun! Anyways, thats all for now. Ciao!

0 comments:

Post a Comment