Monday, January 11, 2010

The Triangle Problem

Adding to what I said last post about being really happy with where my life is at the moment, highlighting on the friends aspect. I have a best friend, and a really good guy friend, and the three of us make a triangle. The problem with a triangle is that sometimes, three's a crowd. The difference between two people making decisions, and three people making decisions, is that the opportunity for harmony decreases. Let me explain. When two people make decisions together, they really only have to consider the other person's opinion, and eventually they learn what makes the other person tick, etc. Harmonic decision making is possible. When there are three people making decisions together, what often happens is two people come to one conclusion, while the third comes to another. Easy solution - majority rules. But that isn't really considering what that third person had to say. The problem of a triangle is that one person becomes the third wheel. In our case, the "third wheel" changes with each individual event...and at the moment, I feel like the third wheel.

I'm the youngest of the triangle, I live the most out of the way, and I've known the other two for the shortest period of time. I have the most deviant values/ideas from the other two, and have different short term goals (they are both graduating next year, while I have 2.5 years left after this semester). Sometimes, I just feel left out. We're usually pretty good about including each other in everything - but when things come down to a decision, sometimes they just tell me how things are and what's going to happen.

So, I'm frustrated. I'm sure it will all wash over, but it still sucks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment